Monday, June 27, 2011

Week Six: Momentum

If you missed my previous post, I have written what I estimate to be half (248 pages) the length of the novel based on how I've broken down the plot/scene outline.

This past week started as a great week.  I was totally psyched about meeting my goal to reach the halfway point.  Monday alone I wrote 14 solid pages.  But by Friday, I was crawling to 7 pages.  I tried working on Saturday and couldn't concentrate more than an hour when I expected (and needed) to work, editing the first half and writing a fight scene, all day.  I can blame Saturday's problems partially on my environment.  I'm particular about where I can work, and I had to move to the public library on Saturday and there are just so many books there...

All told:
Week Total Hours: 37
Total Hours for Writing Novel: 30
Total Pages Written:  49 (1 less than goal)
Total Hours for Editing Novel: 2
Total Pages Editted: 2.25
Pages Per Hour (Writing): 1.63
Pages Per Hour (Editing): 1.125

Due to my early week surge, my pages per hour for writing is about where it should be, but if I'm only "editing" at 1 and an eighth page an hour (editing here pretty much meaning copy-paste - possibly selectively - from one document to another), it's going to take me a very, very long time to finish this...  My 13 week goal, which we are heading into the seventh week of (scary!), includes my very, very rough first draft, an equally rough "working" draft which might contain a couple variations of the same scene from which to choose, and a tidier third draft from which to jump into future/final drafts.  I have seven weeks to complete two and a half approximately 496 page drafts.  Exciting.

Mostly what I need to focus on now is not losing momentum.  It's already started, as evidenced by this past week's slow decline.

No Quote of the Week this week, sorry to say.  This is coming up a little late as it is, and I need to post now, instead of searching for something fun.  Look out later this week for a new weekly topic I'll be posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment